Precision of emotion: A new kind of fun Approach
Ralph Koster’s Theory of Fun: Fun is just another word for learning.
- Kids are smarter than you
- Kids mentioned activity was fun but we aren’t learning anything
- Fun is learning is the beginning, not the end
- The emotion lens: finding universal emotions from pictures
- Disgust, contempt, sadness, happiness, gear, anger, surprise
- But where is fun?
- New emotion: Sophia, the emotion by which we convert fear into happiness via surprise
- Some games have more Sophia than others
- Can we recategorize games by the type of emotion they give rather than genre
- Fun is the psychological process by which we turn stress into satisfaction via insight
- Mastery in god of war makes you feel dominant
- Mastery in animal crossing makes you feel connected
- Finding the emotion: learning games with emotion
- Pain of absence in argumentation is feeling bad, what if we made players feel clear, witty, and charismatic
- Do we think enough about how we want our players to feel at the end?